Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My temporary housing




Just a short reminder, here is where I stayed the first night (from Sep 1st to Sep 2nd):





The next day, the IISc reserved for me the Hoysala guest house where I was an "inmate" the next 2 days:



So I called a taxi and collected my luggage to check in the Hoysala hostel. The first room had no working shower head, but a bucket and a cup instead (as I later learned, this is not unusual in India), so I asked whether I could have a room with a working shower. That room suffered from a number of other problems: When I was moving in, a cockcroach crossed my way (note to Hasan: it was not a cricket this time). Petrified, I was considering moving back to the hotel, but decided against it. The driver who had kindly helped me with my luggage went with me to a pharmacy and we bought Baygon, an insect spray. I sprayed it along all the edges of the room, in all the "holes", and along the window sill (the windows would not close properly). From my bathroom, there was a pipe leading to a water purifying machine outdoors, and the hole for the pipe was an open invitation for all the insects to come and join me inside. Since I was practically sleeping "outside", with no real protection against mosquitos and other insects, I set up my tent that I had bought in Frankfurt (very useful, indeed). Here are some pictures:



1 comment:

Mandeep said...

Akin- great to see you have a blog up (Ben pointed me to it), i will try to check it regularly! this entry with all the entomological detail was indeed amusing, i must say... ;->

The pics below of the institute are rather fabulous -- nice place to work, eh?!

-Mandeep.