Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Indian Institute of Science

I landed in India on September 2nd, shortly after midnight. I did not take any pictures until later the same day, when I arrived at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc). The airport is very modern and everything went smoothly. Once I was in line at immigration, I sent an sms to Borun (simyo prepaid cards do not allow outgoing calls in India, but sms and incoming calls work) who called me back and gave me the details of my first night's stay. His father had kindly arranged for me to be picked up at the airport by a driver (I think it cost around 650 Rs) and also booked the hotel thecapitolhotel.com (5,000 Rs plus luxury tax). Here are some pictures:






The next morning, I asked the front desk how to get to the IISc (or, rather, the Tata institute, as it is locally know here), and they provided me with a car and driver (Rs 450 for a 20 minutes' ride). At the IISc, the driver had to sign in; there are guards at the entrance. He dropped me off at the physics institute, but after he left, I found out that the Center for High Energy Physics (CHEP) where I will be working is not in the physics department, so I asked for directions, and on my way there, I took the following pictures of campus:


After a short walk, I arrived at the CHEP. This is the back side of the building:


The front side of the CHEP:



The street view on the front side:


The mathematics department:


The atrium of the CHEP:


This is me on the 1st floor (american 2nd floor) of the department:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You don't look very excited in that picture...